Sunday, June 3, 2007

The Trip to Watson Farm


Today I visited Watson Farm in Jamestown in hopes of learning more about obtaining local meat or poultry. First lesson: they don't actually sell things on Watson Farm as I thought. Their goods (lamb, grass fed beef) are sold at the farmers market at nearby Casey Farm in Saunderstown on Saturdays. So now I have to wait ANOTHER week to go find meat. ( On the way home I cheated and bought some non-local food at Whole Foods).

The farm was really fun and scenic. There's a self-guided tour which takes you through pastures and down around the water. We saw cattle, sheep, horses, turkeys, chickens, ducks, barn cats, and a few bull frogs. Part of the farm is bordered by the ocean so there is a nice sea breeze in the higher elevations and down by the water. The clover was very abundant. You can see the cows above are loving it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun!! I wish I saw bullfrogs. Instead a bug flew into my eye in Longmeadow, MA. I had to reach in there and pull it out.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story Corinne. :)

Anonymous said...

I stopped at the fresh market stands on the way home from work yesterday. I'm starting this morning off with slices of a locally baked loaf of olive bread! Last night we had fresh asparagus from the vegetable stand with dinner.

That's my local food news for today.