Sunday, August 22, 2010

The World is Your Oyster


The common meaning of the phrase above is: all opportunities are open to someone. The world is yours. Quite fitting during this time of summer unemployment! But alas, my foodie exploration continues. There is a family tale of a young me walking around with a raw oyster stuck in my cheek like a wad of chew, refusing to swallow the slimy offering. A few weeks ago, I came across a new opportunity to redeem myself. A local Whole Foods market was holding an oyster tasting. Excited to exercise my more refined palate, I dove right in. OK, it wasn't much more than a guy shucking oysters next to the seafood case but it was interesting to learn about the local oysters on display. There were about 4 varieties from the cool waters of New England. My favorite (straight up out of the shell) were Wianno Oysters from Cape Cod. Served ice cold, they had a rich briny taste that reminded me of the cool, deep ocean. I think the distinct flavor and coolness of the meat distracted me from the slimy texture I remembered as a youth. The following week I found that they were also good on the grill but surprisingly, not as good as freshly shucked.
Cheers!

No comments: